posted to rec.boats.building
Frogwatch Frogwatch is offline

Default Yanmar or Westerbeke?

On Sep 14, 3:37 am, wrote:
Jeff:

A bit of additional research on my part reveals that the Westerbeke
44B Four and the Vetus M 4.17 are the same Mitsubishi block... the
Mitsubishi is, in fact 'self-bleeding' (I own one) which is a nice
feature but perhaps not one to base a decision on

Don't get confused at the Volvo site; all of their photos show the
engine attached to a saildrive, but all are in reality equally
available with standard marine transmissions. Your best bet seems to
be...

http://www.volvo.com/NR/rdonlyres/EE...C6-5100F8A3BEB...

Volvo has a reputation for expensive parts, *but* their engines are
now made by Perkins which has a long and proud tradition of rock solid
diesel engines. Want proof? Note the displacement / bore / stroke of
the Volvo in the above .pdf with the Perkins model 404D-15 he

http://www.perkins.com/cda/layout?m=97265&x=7

So, if Volvo is simply 'marinizing' a Perkins, and if Perkins parts
are widely available and resonably priced, why shy away? Too, the
Volvo has a whopping 115 Amp alternator as standard equipment... which
is a nice feature, but perhaps not one to base a decision on

I believe Yanmar makes a fine product, and unlike all of the above,
it's *their own* product, i.e. they aren't 'marinizing' someone else's
block - it's a Yanmar from tip to tail. This might be considered a
good thing by some, and a bad thing by others.

My suggestion would be to print out the various spec sheets available
from these manufacturers for the 40+/- hp engines, grab a highlighter
and start making notes.

With a few hours study, you'll be well on your way to making a
informed decision, which will give you a leg up when it comes time to
buy.

Let us know what you decide, and - perhaps more importantly - why!

MW

Am not sure why Hodgett does not like Yanmar. I have had two and they
are the most reliable machines I have ever seen.