posted to rec.boats.building
Jonathan W Jonathan W is offline

Default Restoration project (Lido 14)

Bob Martin wrote:

So I've reclaimed our family's old Lido 14, and I'm going to start the
restoration process on it. The guy that had been "taking care" of it
for the past few years let the poor boat just sit and gather dirt. He
sanded the hull down (apparently intending to repaint it), but never
finished the job.

Basically, the rudder and centerboard need substantial work. I've done
some fiberglass work before, so I can reinforce the rough areas and seal
the rest with epoxy.

The hull needs some fiberglass work too, especially on the transom (old
epoxy has cracked and started to pull away from the wood in some areas)
and the floor of the cockpit. I also need to replace all of the
fittings, which brings me to my questions:

1: How can I repair the cracked transom epoxy? Do I just cut/chip away
the delaminating parts, and reseal?

2: What epoxy/fiberglass combination would work best for all these
repairs? I'm used to using woven plies from doing work on aircraft, but
it appears the boat has glass mats that seem to be just random jumbles
of long fibers.

3: How do I repair holes where fittings attached? I have a feeling
that a lot of them have either stripped out or rotted, and I don't want
to be putting my mast fitting into rotted wood. Can I overdrill the
hole, plug with a dowel or similar, then glass it in and redrill the hole?

4: Finally, how should I go about getting the hull repainted? I live
in an apartment complex, which rules out spraying it myself.

Thanks in advance

You can use either mat or woven cloth for your repairs, use epoxy resin
as opposed to the polyester it was built with.

Check out http://www.gougeon.com/ or http://www.westsystem.com/
for a wealth of information on using epoxy for repairs, One step for
stripped fastening is much as you suggest, except you saturate the area
with resin and fill the hole with one of the many fillers, to re-drill
and re-set the fittings.

Good painting results can be had by rolling on the paint and tipping it
off with a brush. I mostly just brush out what I'm painting, but I've
been doing it for 45 years.....

Have fun.

Jonathan

--
I am building my daughter an Argie 10 sailing dinghy, check it out:
http://home.comcast.net/~jonsailr