posted to rec.boats.paddle
donquijote1954 donquijote1954 is offline

Default best way to secure sit-on-tops

On Sep 9, 10:33 pm, John Kuthe wrote:
On Sep 9, 9:22 pm, donquijote1954 wrote:

On Sep 9, 5:48 pm, "rich" wrote:

I'd imagine that you could cut up an old rubber /plastic garden hose into
pieces and use them as "protectors" between the scupper's plastic and the
cable/chain/rope hanger. Rich

That's a good idea if you don't want to damage the kayak, but I meant
that the diameter of most scupper holes only accomodates an easier to
cut cable. Unless you're lucky enough to own a Hobie Cat with wider
holes for pedal drives that allow a real heavy duty chain with
protector and all, such as I got on my scooter. Such a chain is 100
bucks, but I can rest assured that the boat will always be there.

There is no such thing as a 100% effective security chain or cable.
Any chain or cable can be cut by the properly equipped thief. Security
chains and cables are only used to keep the relatively "honest" people
honest.

The only 100% effective way to not have something stolen is to not own
it!!

;-)

John Kuthe...

Sorry that I had to be away a couple of days. Anyways, here are my
thoughts...

I consider something "safe" when breaking it would make it so visible
or so noisy as to deter 99% of thieves. Kayaks fit in the former
category: They are usually too visible to walk away with (compared to,
say, bikes), though my ex wife's Ocean Kayak Drifter just "walked
away" in the middle of the night.

Anyway, I'm getting a "Phython" lock cable for my kayak. That would
make it pretty safe, but when I get my next great toy (a tandem,
possibly a Hobie), I will work on a chain that it would make it so
NOISY that cutting it would wake half the neighbors... And I hope that
they can sleep well.