posted to alt.sailing.asa,uk.rec.sailing,rec.boats.cruising
[email protected] dougking888@yahoo.com is offline

Default Forget about expensive diesel fuel

Flame - Hydrogen gas - sea water + RF energy - electrical power -
generator - diesel

That is an enormously complicated way to burn diesel.

Frogwatch wrote:
I did work similar to this in grad school. Basically, it uses
electricity to produce hydrogen but I am not sure it is any more
efficient than the normal electrolysis.

Yeah, that was my question... also, how much power does it take to
generate the RF? Combustion of hydrogen is powerful but then hydrogen
is also a tricky fuel to handle... hence the interest in developing
"fuel cells" which essentially allow it to react at lower temps &
pressures, producing energy in usable form without the Hindenburg-
style eruption.

.... The RF produces a high e
field producing discharges in the water surface thus making hydrogen.
We tried it to break up pollutants but the RF does not go very far
into the water so is sorta innefficient.

How about using an atomized mist into an RF chamber?

What he REALLY needs is a
pulsed electrical discharge in the water because that produces a
volumetric effect rather than a surface effect. This requires either
a rotating spark gap or some fancy solid state HV, high current
switches. I'd say, "Not much new here".

Electric dissociation of hydrogen from water has been done since the
1700s. Certainly "nothing new"!!

Regards
Doug King