posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Geoff Schultz Geoff Schultz is offline

Default Ambergris Caye Belize

"Capt. JG" wrote in
:

"Geoff Schultz" wrote in message
.. .
Joe wrote in
ups.com:

On Sep 11, 5:23 am, Geoff Schultz

wrote:
"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote
ctanews.com:

"Joe" wrote in message
roups.com...
Anyone ever sail there?

Looks like a cool place:
http://ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/island.html

Second largest reef on earth.

I check out your site pretty good, did not see a stop in Ambergris
Caye.

You would not believe the BS I hear from lubbers here.

Things like, go around Cuba to avoid pirates in the Yucatan
channel...no wind...ect..ect..

Joe

Ambergris Cay is the name of the cay/island. The major town is San
Pedro, which you'll see indexed under in the Belize logs. (Actually,

just changed the log report title to "Ambergris Cay: San Pedro" to

match
the format of other log titles.)

I really dislike anchoring at San Pedro. The holding is very poor

and
you have to dive on the anchor to set it. What makes this really bad

is
the water taxies and dive boats that FLY through the anchorage and

have
come very close to running me over while swimming out to the anchor.
Between the reef cut at San Pedro and the high speed boats, this is a
very rocky anchorage.

San Pedro is an immigration/customs location, and every 30 days you

need
to re-do your paperwork. That's a royal pain. At the N end of

Belize,
your choices are San Pedro or Belize City. Due to security issues,

you
can't leave your boat unattended at anchor at Belize City, so you

have
to go into Cucumber Beach marina, which is often full.

I tend to anchor at Cay Caulker and take the water taxi over to San
Pedro. Alternately I'll bring BlueJacket there and head directly

back
to Cay Caulker after doing paperwork and re-provisioning.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

Geoff, did you get to the Blue Field Range? We loved it.

We spent the vast majority of our time diving at the atols, but one
season were stuck behind the barrier reef waiting for the winds to relax
so that we could get out there. We made the best of that time by
exploring the cays of Belize. One of our stops was Blue Field Range.

You can see all of the places that we spent time at in Belize by going
to: http://www.geoffschultz.org/Log_Page...?region=Belize

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org