Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Boat Stereo Questions

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 22:04:19 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 13:30:36 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

Although somewhat exaggerated, I concluded that it takes just
about that much nonsense that to change selections. :-(

I'm with you. I'm getting tired of stuff that takes 10-10 vision,
tiny fingers, and complex sequences to do things that were formerly
done by twisting a big knob.
Five-year-olds have no problem with it, though.

The manufacturers have tortally written off he baby boomers.
everything has tiny displays, tiny buttons and "black on black"
graphics molded in the case.

Eyesight sure plays a big factor. I hate putting on reading glasses
just to change a channel or a mode.
Another thing I've noticed as I age - maybe the most important - is I
don't want to devote much time to learning how to operate something I
hardly ever use. If I was a music fanatic I would readily learn it.
My kid put one of these new-fangled stereos in my Chevy because
the Delco FM was out and my wife wanted to listen to her FM music if
she used the car, and wanted a CD player for our trips. Hey, fine.
I just used the radio for a few presets of traffic/weather/talk on my
commute.
So it wasn't a week before I start driving to work, push the "on"
button, the big red one, and this FM rock music blasted out at me.
Hell if I could change it to what I wanted while driving.
Well, my wife and kid had used the car the day before.
I bitched about it, and told her to make sure they change it back
to my channels. My bitching didn't work, and it happened a couple
more times.
Then me and the wife were going somewhere, and the same crap
again when I turned on the radio. After a bit of yelling at each
other, because she couldn't operate the damn thing either, I pulled
into a parking lot, got my glasses and the stereo's manual out of the
glove box, and learned all I had to know it in 3 minutes.
So sue me.

--Vic