Marc Heusser Marc Heusser is offline

Default Boat Stereo Questions

In article . com,
Chuck Gould wrote:

2. Anybody using "memory cards" for music storage? Actually sounds
like a better approach than hooking up an external iPod, at least at
first blush. (We've got an entire galley drawer filled with CD's,
etc....would be nice to free up that space and store the music data on
something much smaller). So:

There are professional units from Marantz - but since you are not into
recording with it - why not just get a portable PC or Mac and put iTunes
on it?
Good for watching DVD's too.
If you want the ultimate portability, any of the current iPods will do
(they are simple to operate), see www.apple.com/ipod.

3. What are the pros and cons of memory cards, mp3 CD's, CD changers,
separate iPod's etc? There's a real smorgasbord og choices now
available.

4. Any general advice on this subject?

CD's are good to buy the music, since you have full quality and can
always rip them for portability to whatever the latest format is.
If you want the ultimate quality, there is Apple's lossless compression
(to half the size).

Other than that use either mp3 (at least 192 kbps) - more universal or
mp4 (at least 128 kbps) smaller for the same quality. This will compress
to about 10%, ie 1 MB per minute or 60 MB for a full CD.
An iPod shuffle will then hold 16 CDs, an iPod nano 64 or 128 CDs, and
the iPod classic 1200 or 2400 CD's.

You need a very good set, very good ears and perfect silence to hear the
difference between 192 kbps mp4/AAC and the original.

iTunes (free, both for Windows and Mac OS X) will do all this for you.
It is a free download - easy to test. You'll get the playlists, albums
list, artist list and title list on your iPod - syncing could not be
easier.
If you want more control, extraction etc use Amadeus Pro on a Mac -
sorry cannot advise for Windows.

I still buy most of my music on CD's (to have the full quality) and then
rip for listening anywhere.

iPods are simple to operate, run long enough, and have good sound
quality. There is a reason they sell well. BTW: new models have just
been introduced.

My CD's stayed at home ever since my first iPod. As well as my Marantz
recorder (Compact Flash cards) stays at work (I need it to record.)

HTH

Marc

--
Switzerland/Europe