Bill Kearney Bill Kearney is offline

Default Boat Stereo Questions

1. Anybody got "HD" FM radio? Would you rate the difference in sound
quality as indistinguishable, marginal, or substantial?

HD FM isn't about better fidelity as much as it's about more programming.
Many stations are broadcasting more than one HD stream. But I don't have an
HD radio gear at this point.

2. Anybody using "memory cards" for music storage?

I've never seen any car stereo head units (the radio) with memory card
slots. I've seen some that have a USB socket. You can plug a regular USB
'thumbdrive' into them. You can also plug a USB card reader and use memory
cards. The little cards are easy to lose or get stolen.

3. What are the pros and cons of memory cards, mp3 CD's, CD changers,
separate iPod's etc? There's a real smorgasbord og choices now
available.

Then there's the hassle of having to use the stereo's controls to access the
tracks. This is true whether you're using USB or a connected iPod. Make
SURE TO TRY USING IT before buying it. Some systems have HORRIBLE user
interfaces for dealing with the iPod.

4. Any general advice on this subject?

It depends on your boat and listening habits. I greatly prefer having the
head unit in the cabin and a waterproof remote at the helm (and on the
transom but I don't use it that often). But the Clarion setup I've got
isn't very friendly with how it lets you control things. You may want to
consider a unit that supports remote control.

I also run the DVD player through the AUX input on the back of the radio.
This lets us watch movies using the full speaker setup instead of just the
little ones on the TV itself.

-Bill Kearney