posted to rec.boats.building
Toller Toller is offline

Default Marine Plywood?

What is the story on plywood? Is nothing suitable for marine use without
being fiberglassed? Would solid wood (3/8") substitute? Any advice on
how I go about doing this so it is durable would be appreciated.

Thinking about it, how about making the top core and one side out of one
piece of solid wood, and then using a second piece of solid wood for the
second side? I could partially resaw the core/side to remove most of the
wood (where the rudder blade goes), and rout out the balance. That way it
would all expand evenly, since it is all the same wood oriented the same,
without any pesky plywood.
Would it be strong enough?