posted to rec.boats.building
Lew Hodgett Lew Hodgett is offline

Default Why a laminated tiller handle?

"Toller" wrote:
The rudder/tiller on my Potter 15 is disintigrating, so I will be

asking a
few questions on rebuilding it in the next few weeks.

The tiller handle is laminated wood, in a very slight S curve. It

has
delaminated; and while I am now gluing it up with polyurethane glue,

I think
it will have to be replaced in the long run.
It doesn't go over or under anything, so I don't see that the S

curve is for
anything but maybe style.

Can I make the new one straight?

Yes, but it will look like ugly on an ape, and may not provide needed
clearances.

Is there
anycompelling reason it has to be laminated?

Yes.

Strength, appearance and resistance to warping.

I have a nice piece of very
old white oak I can use to cut a new one; will a solid white oak

tiller
handle be inappropriate for any reason?

Save that piece of white oak.

Get some Hondourous Mahogany and some Ash, and some epoxy.

Rip 1/4" thick strips.

Build a laminating jig.

Have fun.

Lew