Terry K Terry K is offline

Default Ketch Radar

As well, your boat will likely yaw around a bit, like any good sailor
in the groove, chasing every wave and will-o-the-wisp, so like a
compass card, your radar display will wallow around a bit, so even if
your antenna is blanked out a bit to the left, next moment, it'll be
to the right. Some targets will flicker a bit, possibly. Even if the
display doesn't follow the motion of your compass card, it's failings
will. If I wanted to sound lamentably lame, I'd warn: "Don't forget
about the return shadow from your pulpit!" But, The receiver is time
gated, it won't see the blinding glare reflected from the mast (do you
have black tape on your pushpit, to dim the stern light reflection?)
or pulpit and it will see like you can see around the finger upside
your nose, at least until staring at the mast cooks a line on your
cornea. Just 'cause you can't see the radar microwaves doesn't mean
they won't cook you. Do you stare at the sun reflected on windshields,
etc, of cars?

Where are the radar absorbing carbon fiber and U.V. protectant lenses,
glasses and cowlings? Just think! no more worrying about getting a
flying fish in the eye while siezed to the winch knot on your finger,
trying to kick the tranny into reverse, and unhitch your lashed oolau
self steering bungee, while the furler tether snaps and pops out the
giant wind bag into the force five, heeling you so much you float off
from where you were grounded, only to be washed further up on the
rocks before being crushed between the aircraft carrier and the
lighthouse, blinded.

You are still required to keep a lookout.

Old Pav is gone. Now I feel a need to sing, if only poorly. God bless
us, every one!

Terry K