RW Salnick RW Salnick is offline

Default Thrift shop distiller $9

brought forth on stone tablets:
What is the motivation to use a distiller if you have a city water
supply?

Also, is this unit really an option instead of a water-maker for
anchored sail-boats away from city water?
How does it compare at 4 gallons for 500 watts X 24 hours compared to
a water-maker?

Or is it really just for cleaning up the fresh water from your tank
before ingesting?

-Koos.

On Sep 5, 1:32 pm, Larry wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/yr7jny

I doubled my distiller capacity this morning from a find in a local
thrift shop I frequent. This model sells at Sears for $99, on sale if
you'd like a great distiller at a good price. I paid $9 for it with the
usual broken boiler seal.

The reverse osmosis water maker (admittedly not a new one) on my boat
makes about 1 gph using 5 amps at 12V, so this is about 60 WH/gal.

The one you bought is using 500 watts for 24 hours/4 gallons which is
3000 WH/gal. It uses 50 times more energy.

bob
s/v Eolian
Seattle