No Name

Default Dropcord Pricing...

"Larry" wrote in message
wrote in
:

Can you make your own cord-using components from a US electrical
supplier? Your electrical supplier will be able to outline the proper
US standard and code. Look around, maybe you have a member at you
club that is an electrical contractor and can held you?

That's the curious part. Yachts don't use a standardized connector the
rest of the electrical industry uses. There seems to be only a handful
of suppliers (Hubbell, Charles, Marinco, etc.), specialty companies who
can demand these rediculous prices, maybe in collusion with each other
and the stores.

I like your feedback. Last spring we at our club upgraded the electrical
panels on the docks.
A member contractor build all the panels as per the codes and standars with
components purchased from wholesale electrical suppliers.

We could use:
http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect....duct_info.php?
products_id=288
at $275.
or buy the connectors:
http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect....duct_info.php?
products_id=276
at $36
http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect....duct_info.php?
products_id=277
at $44

But, are these the same size? Boat plugs don't have that center guide
pin, so I'd think they were "different". I don't think these will
fit....at 1/3 the awful price of boat connectors.

Why can't we wire marinas with NEMA 14-50R sockets?
http://www.onestopbuy.com/279-8151.asp
$9.39 ($7.88 if you buy 10 of them)
Like EVERY electric stove in America uses....making them CHEAP!
http://www.onestopbuy.com/275-T-6585.asp
The plug is $25.

I can hear it, "But they don't lock in place!". Waitaminit! What
happened the last time someone's $800 twist-locked drop cord got pulled
on on the dock? IT RIPPED APART! It's only plastic, you know. It
doesn't need to lock onto the plug. The cord is usually wrapped around
the post and puts NO STRAIN AT ALL on the plug!

There ARE outside weatherproof covers for these cheap connectors! Do we
need them? NO WE DON'T! The outlet on the dock is INSIDE a weatherproof
box. Look at yours. The inlet on your boat could just as well be, as
this French boat is, INSIDE a locker with a notch to put the cord in to
close the locker. If it were INSIDE a locker, everyone walking down the
little decks wouldn't be STEPPING ON THE PROTRUDING PLUG. We could
eliminate the whole boat inlet nonsense and hard wire the boat's power
cord to a NEMA box INSIDE THE LOCKER with a WINDER ON IT! Oh, what? The
damned boat power cord always in the way at sea might WIND ITSELF UP
INSIDE THE BOAT? How silly....it HAS to plug into the $150 inlet RIGHT
WHERE YOU WALK IN AND OUT, doesn't it? Yes, because "we've always done
it that way".

Nonsense....The shore power cable is NOT USED AT SEA. It doesn't HAVE
to, and if you look down the dock never is, all sealed up. These drop
cords on all our docks is plugged in and left open. Those black sealing
rings lay all over the place...(c;

Larry
--
$800 for a dropcord.....is just STUPID!
Hell, we could reduce dock rent if we didn't need $200 connectors!