posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob Capt. Rob is offline

Default Fantastic Sailing again!

Sorry, 322 sq feet. Still, its only 43% of the 742 feet on the
Nonsuch.
Sail Area = Horsepower; there's pretty simple physics here.

Wrong, Jeff. I work closely with two lofts now and sail area does not
+ HP in all cases. For it to be effective you need proper shape, COE
coupled with LWL and the least wetted surface on a hydrodynamically
effective hull.

With 230%
more power, the Nonsuch easily overcomes its weight disadvantage
(17,000
vs 11,460 lbs).

No, Jeff. The Nonsuch can have all of the sail area in the world and
it will never overcome it's heft in all conditions. There are MANY
other factors than make a lot of boats faster than a Nonsuch even when
they have less canvas and shorter LWL.

In fact, the Benny can only do a bit over SR of 1.1, or about 6
knots.

Yeah, I remember years ago when I was a newbie and I played with those
types of numbers. Some real sailors set me straight. We will always
pass the Nonsuch and always have. A J27 or J29 will usually pass us,
though we can throw up impressive sail area coupled with greater LWL.
Sigh. You just don't get sailing at all, do you?

Of course not. However, I can probably find posts where you
claimed it was.

Yup, I used to play the numbers game as you have above. Then there's
the real world. If you don't think a 35s5 can stay with a Nonsuch,
both flying mains, then you're simply wrong. There's just no doubt
about it at all.

But by how much?

Does that matter? "Faster" for sailboats is always about very small
advantages.

On a
Beam Reach in a blow, its possible to do 20% over hull speed.

Most 35s5 owners who've sailed their boats hard have reported speeds
between 10-12 knots. On a reach in Florida we touched 11 knots I
believe. My buddy who races topped 11 with the 35s5 flying the 150% in
far too much wind.

A real advantage of a lightweight boat like the J/29 (same hull, 2000
lbs lighter than a J/30)

Actually, Jeff, the hulls have some differences beyond the weight.

So will a Nonsuch. It isn't a crab crusher: the NS36 SD has a
PHRF of
141.

NE Rating is 165, Jeff. I've seen lower and higher. The current rating
for my boat with martec prop is 126. 165 is barely any better than my
Pearson 30, which was a fine sailing boat. I'm NOT bashing the Nonsuch
boats, Jeff. There were three out today and they are pretty boats.
They were right there with the Catalinas and Beneteau Oceanus boats,
but we passed them easily.

Moreover, you've claimed many times that your Benny has a low
rating
because it attracts better skippers;

The usual song from 35s5 owners is that it's just not forgiving at all
and requires a very good crew. In my opinion that makes a poor
raceboat for a lot of people, unless they really want to get serious
about it. It's a bad pick for the casual racer to be sure.

Since the ratings are in fact pretty close, it must be that the
Nonsuch
is actually faster than your Benny.

Hey, Jeff...if you want to believe that a Nonsuch 36 is faster than a
35s5, J30, Santana 30/30 or even Sloco's Express 30, screanm it to the
heavens.

Which is a full knot under the hull speed of a NS36.

That was an average, Jeff. When winds died so did the Nonsuch. We kept
flying. In heavy winds the boats were a closer match. We sailed along
with two Nonsuch 36's. They are always out as of late and I'll take
pics of them next weekend. We always pass them.

Face it booby, you're a salesman,
not a sailor!

Well said! What's your point?

If you leave the jib at home. Actually, on a close reach with
full
sail, the boats might be pretty close in a breeze.

I like the Nonsuch, Jeff. It's too much of an "old person's" design
for me to dig into in my 40's.

So now he's admitting he lied about his "encounter" with a Nonsuch
and
reverts to his claim that he has more fun.

Like I said, I'll grab some pics of those boats for you this week.
They're always out on the weekends lately. And you'll see the white
haired crew on both. We did see a smaller one with some younger folk
aboard! And yes, the 35s5 is a lot more fun.

RB
35s5
NY