posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob Capt. Rob is offline

Default Fantastic Sailing again!

This is such a ludicrous fabrication its laughable. If there was
enough
wind for a 35s5 to do hull speed under main alone (that's only 232 sq
ft)

How many sq. feet, Jeff???? You might want to check that again. You're
a BIT off!

then a Nonsuch 36 with 742 sq ft and a hull speed a half knot
higher
would have had no trouble walking away from it.

Jeff, seriously, you CAN'T be any kind of real sailor. LWL is not the
end all for speed. MAYBE you know that. Maybe not. My friend's J29 has
less LWL than the 35s5. He'll exceed his hull speed faster than we
will. A boat like the 35s5 will do better than hull speed, even with
her main on a day like that. Our average over an hour was 6.7 knots.
The Nonsuch was right there with us for about 3 minutes.

Of course, it might
have been a smaller NS, or it could have been reefed, or maybe it was
anchored, but most likely booby just made the whole thing up.

Hey, if that's what floats your radiator....cool.

I would certainly admit the the 35s5 is a faster boat than the
NS36

Golly! Really? I thought you said the Nonsuch will walk away from a
35s5.

Given that
the Nonsuch is a very comfortable cruising boat that is extremely
easy
to singlehand, that's not much of a difference.

Sure it is because the 35s5 is more fun to sail. And I've sailed a
Nonsuch and a Freedom 36 as well. Mark in this very group owned the
Freedom and it's a great boat, but not the kind of sailing we prefer.

And on a close reach
with a breeze, the Nonsuch design holds its own against a lot of
other
boats. I never had any trouble keeping up or even passing most 32-34
footers in my Nonsuch 30 on a close reach.

I'm sure we're all happy that the Nonsuch worked well for you on that
point of sail. We kind of like the 35s5, and the J boats we sail. They
tend to be fun and fast on all points of sail.

RB
35s5
NY