posted to alt.sailing.asa
Edgar Edgar is offline

Default Fantastic Sailing again!

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...

Winds were pretty good. But they died down more and more as we sailed.
It was a nice sail, but I damaged the leech cord in my 120% and that
****ed me off, even if the repair will be free. I have yet to hoist my
new sail, which is a 150%. I want to try it on a quiet day.
It was blowing just short of whitecaps for the 1st couple of hours.
It's so funny when it blows like that because the heavy stuff comes
out....Cape Dory's, Southern Crosses, Valiants and a lot of old wood
stuff that can really play in a good breeze. There were a ton of
classics out sailing and a real show for our guests in from Ireland.
Next time I'll give you more notice and careful directions. I had a
lot of people on board yesterday, but little help sailing the boat.
That can be a PIA at times.

It's an amazing weather weekend so far.

It is clear to me that you do not have the ability(/or crew?) to change your
foresail when the wind changes from the strength it was when you went out. I
said as much in a recent post. For the sort of sailing you do you would be
much better off with a roller jib cut high enough to clear the guard rails,
then you could roll up a bit when the wind increases instead of messing up a
new foresail in winds too great for it.
It is really silly to get a 150% deck sweeper-you are sure to blow it out
because you do not have the ability/crew to replace it with a smaller one
when the wind gets up. Face up to it-despite all your talk about speed and
racing your sailing outings are pleasure trips. There is nothing wrong with
that but you do not face up to the reality of it and rig your boat
accordingly..