No Name

Default Mast winter storage.

Thanks, I meant chain plates. My boat has an 11 feet 3 inches beam, 6 feet
draft and 49 feet above the water mast.
The width of the steel cradle is 6 feet with 6 holding pads.
The question is how much will it take to capsize the boat on dry ground?
I do not know if this is entirely true, but some Marina in the US to not
allow boats to be stored with their mast up?
Also some insurance companies may want an extra premium?

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Sat, 1 Sep 2007 17:29:56 -0300, wrote:

Conversely, I have heard stories that leaving the mast on
during the winter may cause stress on the rigging and loosen the anchor
plates.

I assume you mean chain plates.

Probably the biggest risk is having your boat capsized off of the jack
stands or cradle by strong winds. It is not common but it does
happen. It is especially risky on dirt which is more prone to be
softened or compacted over time as opposed to concrete or blacktop.

That said, I left the mast up on my old Cal-34 for many years with no
damage at all. It is best to replace the halyards with messenger
lines to avoid wear and UV damage.