posted to alt.sailing.asa
LLoyd Bonafide LLoyd Bonafide is offline

Default Guess who?

Now who can this be:

This kind of narcissist jealously guards his possessions - his collections,
his furniture, his cars, his children, his women, his money, his credit
cards...

Objects comfort this type of narcissist. They remind him of his status. They
are linked to gratifying events and, thus, constitute Secondary Sources of
Narcissistic Supply. They attest to the narcissist's wealth, his
connections, his achievements, his friendships, his conquests, and his
glorious past. No wonder he is so attached to them. Objects connected with
failures or embarrassments have no place in his abode. They get cast out.

Moreover, owning the right objects often guarantees the uninterrupted flow
of Narcissistic Supply. A flashy car or an ostentatious house help the
somatic narcissist attract sexual partners. Owning a high powered computer
and a broadband connection, or a sizable and expensive library, facilitate
the intellectual pursuits of the cerebral narcissist. Sporting a glamorous
wife and politically correct kids is indispensable in the careers of the
narcissistic politician, or diplomat.

The narcissist parades his objects, flaunts them, consumes them
conspicuously, praises them vocally, draws attention to them compulsively,
brags about them incessantly. When they fail to elicit Narcissistic Supply -
admiration, adulation, marvel - the narcissist feels wounded, humiliated,
deprived, discriminated against, the victim of a conspiracy, and generally
unloved.

Objects make the accumulator narcissist. They are an integral part of his
pathology. This type of narcissist is possessive. He obsesses about his
belongings and collects them compulsively. He "brands" them as his own. He
infuses them with his spirit and his personality. He attributes to them his
traits. He projects to them his thwarted emotions, his fears, his hopes.
They are an integral part of him, inseparable, providing emotional succour.

Such a narcissist says: "My car is daring and unstoppable", or "How clever
is my computer!", or "My dog is cunning", or "My wife craves attention". He
often compares people to the inanimate. Himself he regards - literally, not
only figuratively or metaphorically - as a computer or sex machine. His wife
he views as some kind of luxury good.

The narcissist loves objects and relates to them - which he fails to do with
humans. This is why he objectifies people - it makes it easier for him to
interact with them. Objects are predictable, reliable, always there,
obedient, easy to control and manipulate, universally desired.

hmmmm?