me

Default Trailer Hitch Questions

Tony's right. No grease. It's not going to fall apart and new balls are
cheap when you need a replacement after 20 years.

Grease won't hurt anything, use it if you want to. I do.
You should be more concerned that you:

-Have the right tow vehicle

If you don't read youe ins. policy and see if they will cover you if you
overload your vehicle, most won't.
-The boat is in the proper position on the trailer and well supported
-You have a spare tire (and hub)
-Existing hubs are full of grease

And you check them after the first 100 miles and then every fill up. Just touch
them they should be warm but not too hot to hold on to.
-You have transom tie downs
-Safety chains are all in place

And not dragging. You can drag through a chain in under 200 miles. They should
cross under the trailer tongue.
-Trailer brakes are working properly
-Lights are all working
-Etc....

Dan

Wayne.B wrote:
I'm about to tow my 24 ft I/O (5,000+ lbs) from NY to Florida with a
newly purchased trailer. In the process of shaking everything down in
advance, I've noticed that the hitch ball is getting scratched up
quite a bit. Question 1, is this normal or should I be concerned?
Question 2, would it make sense to pre-lube the hitch ball with a
light coat of grease or is that a bad idea?