posted to alt.sailing.tall-ships,uk.rec.sailing
Bill Bill is offline

Default Tall Ships Youth Trust is to sell one of its brigs

On Aug 26, 4:06 pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"Ronald Raygun" wrote in message

k...

On 2007-08-24 17:33:32 -0700, "Wilbur Hubbard"
said:
Wrong! the only thing that makes it a brigantine is the fact it
carries a gaff mainsail. If it carries no gaff mainsail then it's a
brig.

Brig:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Washington

Nope! Since she carries a gaff mainsail that makes her a brigantine.
Brigs carry ONLY square sails on both masts.

I don't believe this is true, and as you have failed to accede to my
request for independent authoritaive corroboration of your mistaken
interpretation, I conclude that you to take part in this discussion
like a grown-up, and that I was wrong to give the benefit of the
doubt, thinking that you might - for once - not be trolling.

Your behaviour just doesn't cut the mustard. I should have listened
to Martin!

Goodbye.

I guess you didn't bother reading the post way up the thread where I
linked to three different dictionary definitions that support my
contentions. Or, perhaps you did and you've concluded you lost the
argument so you're acting like you're giving up because I didn't argue
your way or do further research for you. Well, whoop-de-doo. Good
riddance to ya. There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur the Chapman guide and the Annapolis guide to seamanship both
say you are wrong. Plus a Spanker is not a mainsail. It's a brig
even if it has a for-and-aft rigged sail as long as it is not the
main. When I get home I will try to remember to get the exact
verbiage.