Shaun Van Poecke Shaun Van Poecke is offline

Default Hard Dinghy recommendations

Hi Marc,
I have an 8 foot fibreglass twin hull dinghy that i have been very happy
with. Im not sure who makes it, but it is a lot more stable at rest and
under power than plain vanilla vee/flat bottom dinghies i have been in of
the same size. I have a honda 2hp 4 stroke on mine and it moves along quite
well. It has flotation in the hulls and seat so it's unsinkable. I bought
it second hand (but near new) with the outboard (also near new) for AU$1000
which seemed like a good price to me.

Shaun

"Marc Auslander" wrote in message
I need a new dink. I had a small skimmar which was pretty
unsatisfactory - not much load/person capacity, and not very stable.
It was easy to push a rear quarter under water by standing off center
aft!

I'd like suggestions for a replacement.

Requirements -

Decent performance with a 2HP engine.
Stable when entering and leaving.
Tows well - since I tow my dink. (Keel?)
Minimal maintenance (little wood).
Strong and of course sink proof. (Fiberglass construction, I think)
3 person or better capacity.
Reasonably dry when pushed upwind in chop.

Cruising world reviewed some recently - and comments on those or
others would be appreciated.

http://www.cruisingworld.com/article...=397&catID=571

The alternative is an inflatable or inflatable RIB - but I've always
liked the reliability and ease of maintenance of a hard dink.