posted to alt.sailing.tall-ships,uk.rec.sailing

Default Tall Ships Youth Trust is to sell one of its brigs

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

I hope not because a brigantine is a two-masted, square-rigged ship
with fore and aft mainsail. A 'brig' is a lubberly shortening of
the word 'brigantine.'

Wilbur Hubbard

http://www.answers.com/brig&r=67

Note that the first definition is from the *American* heritage
dictionary (so this is not your language being differnt!), and it
has a link to brigantine with the description of the different rig.

Andy

Wrong! Let me repeat. A brigantine is a two masted vessel,
square-rigged but with fore and aft mainsail.
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/d.../d0002703.html
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/brigantine

http://www.geocities.com/cjstein_2000/dictionary.html#B

note: a gaff sail is a fore and aft sail.

Wilbur Hubbard

Perhaps my snipping is innacurate, or perhaps you are trolling (and
no, I am not referring to piscatorial activities) but it seems to me
that the three links you have given all have seperate definitions for
"Brig", and none of them suggest that it is merely "a lubberly
shortening of the word 'brigantine' ".

This has little to do with whether the Trust is correct to sell its
vessel.

Andy

I Googled some pics of the Trust's brigs (they are brigs according to
definition because the pictures showed they are both square-rigged on
both masts with no fore-and-aft sails on the masts) and they are nice
looking boats. But, whose to say the Trust doesn't have good reason to
sell whatever boats they want to sell

Wilbur Hubbard