posted to alt.sailing.tall-ships,uk.rec.sailing
Andy Champ Andy Champ is offline

Default Tall Ships Youth Trust is to sell one of its brigs

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

I hope not because a brigantine is a two-masted, square-rigged ship
with fore and aft mainsail. A 'brig' is a lubberly shortening of the
word 'brigantine.'

Wilbur Hubbard

http://www.answers.com/brig&r=67

Note that the first definition is from the *American* heritage
dictionary (so this is not your language being differnt!), and it has
a link to brigantine with the description of the different rig.

Andy

Wrong! Let me repeat. A brigantine is a two masted vessel, square-rigged
but with fore and aft mainsail.
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/d.../d0002703.html

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/brigantine

http://www.geocities.com/cjstein_2000/dictionary.html#B

note: a gaff sail is a fore and aft sail.

Wilbur Hubbard

Perhaps my snipping is innacurate, or perhaps you are trolling (and no,
I am not referring to piscatorial activities) but it seems to me that
the three links you have given all have seperate definitions for "Brig",
and none of them suggest that it is merely "a lubberly shortening of the
word 'brigantine' ".

This has little to do with whether the Trust is correct to sell its vessel.

Andy