Skip Gundlach Skip Gundlach is offline

Default August 22 - A Ripping Good Sail, or, Anybody NOAA good forecaster???

On Aug 23, 11:17 am, "KLC Lewis" wrote:
"Skip Gundlach" wrote in message

oups.com...

On which subject, how does anyone with a destination *NOT* have
"schedulitis" as defined in commentary on our travels? And isn't, as
it's defined, the very act of planning a voyage, a commission of the
sin? If not, how does one ever arrive anywhere, whether by accident
or because they just want to go there? I want to go to NY because
relatives live there. More will arrive. But if I'm not there on a
certain date, one will continue to be there as he has for the last 30+
years, and the other will enjoy his company. But somehow I'm taken to
task for looking forward to arriving...

I gotta go and do the pre-departures. I'll try to come back at some
of the myriad of prior commentary which begs response...

Skip, I think you're already well on the way to a cure by stating that you
will leave at a certain time "as long as the weather doesn't deteriorate."
Nothing wrong with having plans -- as long as plans don't overrule safety.
If the weather is good tomorrow, we'll sail and arrive at (blank) the next
day. If conditions are bad, we'll wait it out. If we have to wait a couple
of weeks, so be it.

Cruising is boat repair in exotic locations...

I don't know that I'd consider Cape May exotic, but it's where we're
doing some boat repairs today instead of going out into OK weather,
because tomorrow looks even better.

And, all those times we were in marinas in the trip so far were, in
fact, just the making of lemonade. We've had some great times doing
what we're doing - and we're not in Sandy Hook yet :{))

Same old stuff on same old boats, new problems arise, and we deal with
them. We moved anchor to get closer to the action, and got better
internet for it, so I just got off an hour on the phone over the
Vonage VoIP which includes England in the base rate, talking with
Lydia's mom, who will be in NY on September 1 whether we're there or
not :{)) Lydia's off in the dink shipping a broken/non-functioning
instrument off for repair and getting supplies, and who knows what
she'll bring back this time (last time it was a cat, as seen in
another thread)...

Despite what it seems, we're not idiots nor do we have a death wish.
With an uninsured boat, we're, if anything, extra cautious. But we're
out here doing it, despite what is now, about 10 years of disbelief
from various quarters, with each stage having its new Thomases.

We continue to take counsel - it's one of the ways I got this far. I
don't take umbrage (or, at least, extraordinarily infrequently) - but
sometimes don't respond to some of the obvious stuff which we're
already doing, but which my reports sometimes suggest may not be
known, let alone exercised :{)) As seen, I'm not the least bit afraid
to make fun of myself and my foibles. If I couldn't, I'd be very
depressed at the various obstructions to smooth sailing which have
either arisen, or we've put in our way.

So, y'all keep on telling us what we should do, or should have done,
or might do in the future. We read it all, and absorb it. Lots of it
gets done...

And, I'll keep on posting about how I screwed up, or missed the
obvious, or overcame challenges - and, once in a while, when there's
no calamities to report, just comment on how we smelled the flowers :
{))

Gotta go fix stuff; then relax and get something to eat - too busy so
far today to do that, other than a cuppa.

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its
hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts."
(Richard Bach, in The Reluctant Messiah)