JB

Default new Merc 9.9hp - 4 stroke

(Bill Kiene) wrote in
:

Mercury has just released a new very light 9.9hp - 4 stroke.

It weighs 84# and has a handle for carrying. This is the lightest 4
stroke 9.9hp made right now.

In many places in the world there are 10hp limits like on some of the
lakes in BC, Canada.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/9.9_fourstroke3

well, not exactly. It's the same motor that is produced by Tohatsu (and for
Nissan as well). The Tohatsu 9.9 weighs 81.5 lbs according to their website
(www.tohatsu.com or www.nissanmarine.com). So the Tohatsu is actually the
lightest one I've seen and theirs has been out on the market since last
fall sometime (I saw it at the Miami boat show and heard it was released in
'03). I think the difference in weight is because Merc uses a shift-in-the-
handle and the Tohatsu/Nissan uses a side shift. Bottom line though is, the
Merc is NOT the lightest weight on the market and it's made for them by
Tohatsu.

JB