Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default August 22 - A Ripping Good Sail, or, Anybody NOAA good forecaster???

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 12:59:17 -0000, Skip Gundlach
wrote:

On which subject, how does anyone with a destination *NOT* have
"schedulitis" as defined in commentary on our travels? And isn't, as
it's defined, the very act of planning a voyage, a commission of the
sin?

Not at all. Planning where you want to go, and when you want to get
there are two different things. Unless you plan to continue taking
risks with your boat and safety, you've got to be more flexible with
the weather. If you head out and find unfavorable conditions, or
conditions start to deteriorate while your out there, it's time to
activate Plan B, Plan C, etc. This happens all too frequently and you
always need to have an alternative destination that you can reach in a
reasonable length of time. Sailing or motoring long distances to
windward is not something you want to be doing. It's tough on the
people, and tough on the boat and equipment.

We bailed out three times on our own trip north back in June. It
certainly cost time and distance but we never got over extended as a
result. As a fringe benefit we saw some very interesting places that
we would have missed otherwise. When the weather or sea conditions
hand you a lemon, make lemonade with it and enjoy. Discussions with
others about arrival times should always include "maybe", "probably",
"weather permitting", etc. Successful cruising is as much about
enjoying where you are as it is the enjoyment of getting some where.