posted to alt.sailing.asa
katy katy is offline

Default bilge pump maintenance

Horvath wrote:
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 17:54:12 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote this crap:

I disagree. Manual bilge pumps are unnecessary. It is rightly said that
a frightened man with a bucket can get rid of water faster than any
manual bilge pump.

Here's a hint for you that might save lots of emergency pumping or
bucketing. As many times a leak comes from a thru-hull or a
broken/jammed seacock or ball valve or hose all you need to make a
temporary fix is some toilet plungers in stock. Get the old fashioned
kind without the extra cone inside the plunger. Unscrew the handle and
store a couple of the rubber plungers. If you get a leak you can't
control at a thru hull don't pound one of those stupid wooden plugs into
it. Just jump overboard and place the plunger over the thru-hull; the
water pressure will seal it on until you can get to a yard to fix it.

I guess you've never heard of duct tape.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.

He uses it for birth control.