Richard Casady Richard Casady is offline

Default Well, wadda you know?

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 16:06:55 +0700, wrote:

Thanks to this newsgroup, I know that hand starting a
20 hp, twin cylinder, diesel is near the edge of feasibility but doable.

Of course not. The limit is ten times that. Gardner 250 hp six. You
have to buy the boat to get one.
I used to crank start a 110 horse flathead gasoline six. I kicked a
small crank. I actually started that engine with the crank out of a
3/8 drive socket set. Drilled the end for a crosspin. It broke the
third time, so we went to the junkyard and got an old cream separater
crank. We had trashed the starter. and a replacement was taking a
while. If you think 20hp is the limit then you have a setup that just
barely works. It doesn't have to be that way.

Casady