posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Rob's friends sail cut

"katy" wrote in message
Joe wrote:

For Pete's sake, if it bothers you so much you can always drop the
lifelines down to the base of the bow pulpit..many people do
that...we
have chafe guards on our lines..little round whellie things that the
sail rides over to keep it from chafing...our sail is a deck
sweeper...having it cut up over the top of the lifelines would mean
an
incredible loss of sail area...so it's a tad unsightly, so what?
Beats
losing speed...- Hide quoted text -

Drop the life lines forward?

They're still there.. they just run at a slant from the first set of
stanchions to the bottom of the bow pulpit...they are still
functional...
Do they toss the lifejackets and liferaft
over too?

You got the wrong picture in your mind...

Why not go with a bigger % forward sail to make up for the loss.

We have a 140....don't have any use for anything larger than that...we
have a light displacement boat and do not sail on head sail
alone..that's not the way our boat is balanced...

Tad unsightly, so what? What is that the crunched up sail is not
going
to have a good flow at the foot as Doug claims.

It's not crunched up...it's just a bit crooked....

It should never be crunched up or crooked. The foot should run fair.
Have a look at how a real sailor does it.
http://captneal.homestead.com/Thumbsup.html Pay particular attention to
the "close-hauled" picture. Note how the sail sweeps the foredeck and
how the lifelines angle down to the base of the pulpit so there is no
interaction with the sail.

I hope this helps.

Wilbur Hubbard