posted to alt.sailing.asa
katy katy is offline

Default Rob's friends sail cut

Joe wrote:
On Aug 21, 8:32 am, wrote:

OzOne wrote:

And sacrifice sail when close hauled?

Everything's a compromise.

Joe wrote:

I would think a properly shaped sail on all points would be the best
all around.

Depends on what you mean by "best."

Best all around Doug. Is that too hard a concept for you to envision?

Best means the best shape, and best care, and best preformance. Are
you telling me a crunched up sail dragging the lifelines has good flow
around the foot?

A genoa with a high-cut foot to clear the bow pulpit & lifelines will
be slower on alll points, less sail area and poor flow around the
foot. Better visibility & less chafe, though. You have to make up your
mind what you want.

I can see the chaffing taking place clearly.

Well, you can avoid that by keeping the sail nice & safe in it's bag.

Hey.... for all I care about your sails, you can drag them across a
parking lot, use 40 grit sandpaper to clean them, and fly them where
they always rub everything and are out of the proper shape.

Is that wrong OZ?

It's only WRONG to think that the loss of speed isn't much (it is) or
that anybody who doesn't have the same priorities as yourself is a
fool.

If you are happy with a sail crunched up over a hand rail and or
lifelines feel free to partake. Oh I forgot...you do not have a
sailboat do you?

Joe

For Pete's sake, if it bothers you so much you can always drop the
lifelines down to the base of the bow pulpit..many people do that...we
have chafe guards on our lines..little round whellie things that the
sail rides over to keep it from chafing...our sail is a deck
sweeper...having it cut up over the top of the lifelines would mean an
incredible loss of sail area...so it's a tad unsightly, so what? Beats
losing speed...