posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Ironhorse Ironhorse is offline

Default Catamarans have something extra....

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 19:01:10 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

Actually, I'm doing just the opposite. I'm currently having a yacht
built that is stout enough to survive the worst hurricane ever imagined
and the worst seas it can produce. It consists of a 90 foot steel hull
on the outside, then comes three feet of floatation foam, then comes an
inside steel hull. Between the two steel hulls are ribs welded to each
hull. Inside the inside hull there's a gimbaled and padded accommodation
that sleeps six. It has four, watertight, transverse steel bulkheads and
it's heavily ballasted with moderately deep fin/bulb keel. There's
three, free-standing masts that telescope so in the retracted position
they only protrude 20 feet above the deck. The hatches are all like
submarine hatches, sealed and able to hold pressure. It has air tanks so
it can be sealed up for up to 12 hours. It has an apparatus that can
draw in outside air when it's sealed up. Of course it is self-righting
to the max.

The plan is for the ultimate survival sailing adventure. Purposely sail
out and put the vessel in the path of a hurricane and then ride it out
in safety. Clients would have bragging rights. "I sailed Hurricane
Dennis when it was Cat 5."

What do you think?

I think you should name it Titanic

Ironhorse, AH#130, HSB#96, SENS BS#187
2001 Ultraclassic with Sidecar
96 Custom bucket of bolts (gone but not forgotten)

Republicans think every day is 4th of July
Democrats think every day is April 15th
Ronald Reagan