[email protected] tsmwebb@gmail.com is offline

Default ferro

On Aug 18, 2:18 pm, (Richard Casady)
wrote:
On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 12:25:38 -0700, "

wrote:
Strong as wood, heavy as steel, about sums it up.

Steel is lighter than wood. of equal strength. Aluminum is lighter
than wood. For the same weight aluminum and steel are equally strong.

I didn't write that. I was quoting Roger. My feeling is that the
word construction is implied in his statement. As built to typical
scantlings wooden boat construction is lighter but weaker than steel
construction. In small craft the difference is very significant
because of minimum practical plate thickness.

-- Tom.