Leanne Leanne is offline

Default Well, wadda you know?

"Michael Porter" wrote in message

Hey! Isn't the Roger Long who designs boats?

Now you know how the rest of us feel when we discover that to save
space, make the hull a better shape, or some other trivial reason you
can't get THAT nut off until you remove THIS thing over here :-)

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

chuckle yep!

but that's usually the fault of owners who want everything including
the kitchen sink in a 30' boat but won't accept the loss of
accommodation space to a proper engineroom. Or of marketing types
ditto.

I knew of a beautiful Cape Dory 36 that was bought by a man that had a Swan
40 something that he couldn't handle, but wanted all of the amenities of the
larger boat. The first thing he did was hire a marine carpenter to redo the
interior and then added a Balmar genset which went under the cockpit aft of
the engine. After that she sat about 2 inches down at the stern and the
generator which had a one cylinder something never ran right and when it did
it was so noisy that they couldn't stay below. Now for the fun part, to get
to the stuffing gland or the steering quadrant, you had to unhook the
generator and slide it out onto the quarter berth and move it aft so you
could get into that space. As much as I can remember this boat was very
seldom sailed and just motored from marina to marina.

Leanne