[email protected] brucedpaige@gmail.com is offline

Default ferro

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 23:28:04 -0700, dave
wrote:

I recently purchased a 30 odd year old hartley queenslander ferro
cement sloop. I love it and so does my family and friends. Its a funny
old thing, everything works, but all the know alls who own boats built
of other materials look down their noses and all have some anecdotal
story about the woes of ferro construction. It sails beautifully,
motors with ease, is very comfortable.
Could someone who has owned , or does own a ferro share with me their
trials and tribulations.

I don;t own one but have a mate that owns a 50 footer. He used to sail
it to Perth every year and back to Thailand six months later. No
problems with the hull.

The reason that ferocement boats have a bad reputation is because
people used to b build them in their back wards and when it came time
to plaster them would get a bunch of beer and all their mates in. some
of these were pretty horrible. Other people were smart enough to have
a professional plasterer do the job and never have a problem.

They are heavy for their length though and you'll probably find that
you can carry a lot more sail then the fiberglass boats.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)