Roger Long Roger Long is offline

Default Well, wadda you know?

"Joe" wrote

Thats crazy..Got a picture? Whats the structure in the way?

The structure is the fiberglass molding that makes up the entire galley
structure. It's not like some worker put some trim on in the wrong place or
an owner made some modifications.

The reason I would be leery about an extension on the handle is that the
mechanism that prevents the handle turning when the engine starts and
breaking your arm is pretty minimalist. (Looks like the Lister is similar).
A little extra friction in the shaft both would transmit torque and keep the
shaft from sliding forward enough for the lugs to disengage. I'm sure the
force of shattering your forearm would loosen it up enough so that the
handle didn't go spinning around but it would be small comfort at that
point. The combination of extra handle weight and turning force acting over
the longer lever arm would considerably increase the friction on the shaft.

I think I'm going to clean up the whole rig by taking the mechanism off and
going the emergency battery route. You sound like a big guy and, if your 12
hp is that hard to get going, it's another vote that starting this 20 hp
engine cold would be unlikely.

I've got pictures but they are on the office computer and I won't be there
for a few days.

--
Roger Long