[email protected] brucedpaige@gmail.com is offline

Default Voltage regulator advice needed

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 07:54:37 -0400, "Roger Long"
wrote:

Chris,

I see you found my neighborhood cyber bar. Have a beer and keep an eye out
for flying pool cues and bottles.

The good news is that no one has jumped up to say that the problem must have
started somewhere else and a new regulator will just self distruct in the
same way. Could still happen but, if it was common, that's what we probably
would have heard.

The other good news is confirmation (recognizing that you have to take all
NG stuff with a grain of salt) that the generatior part of the dynastart was
not being used and the alternator is an addition. That means a separate
regulator and solonoid, readily available and not terribly expensive, are an
option.

What people are calling a starter solonoid isn't really. A solonoid pushes
the drive gear into place on some starters then disengages them so they
won't be turning and generating power when the engine is running. (Standard
starters must do this because there is no way to cut off power to the field
windings). When I was flying, an important step after starting was to turn
on power to the panel in special steps watching the ammeter to be sure the
starter (Bendix mechanical engagement / disengagement in this case) had not
remained engaged generating power that would fry the entire avionics stack
when the engine was brought up to speed.

Ah Roger, you must be one of the younger generation who dosen't
remember "Bendex" starters where rotation of the starter drove a
pinion gear out a spiral shaft to engage the ring gear on the
flywheel. The solenoid was a proper solenoid (remote switch). After
the engine started and the starter button was released a coil spring
retracted the pinion gear. :-)

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)