JOSEPH D HERSEY JOSEPH D HERSEY is offline

Default EPIRB, CG Rescue - Interesting and confusing

All 406 EPIRBs transmit two signals, 406 MHz (for satellite detection and
locating) and 121.5 MHz (for homing). Coast Guard aircraft (and cutters)
have only had homing capability on 121.5 MHz, but have lately realised that
was not good enough. The lower frequency signal is weak (25 mw) and has
been difficult to detect with aircraft homing devices. But a decision was
made to outfit all aircraft with 406 MHz-capable homing equipment starting
with the C-130s, and the posted article shows the results: aircraft can home
right in on the distress beacon with no time lost in search patterns. The
406 MHz signal is 5w, much more powerful.

By the way if you have any old 121.5 MHz-only beacons, throw them away and
get the newer 406 type. Satellite detection on that frequency ends next
year.

JoeHersey

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
Seems at least some CG rescue craft are not equipped to pick up 406MHz
signals. Almost suggests it's best to have 406MHz and 121.5MHz until
rescuers catch up with equipment upgrades.
That's my take, but it may be wrong. I said I was confused.
Also, catamaran sailors might consider a Sawzall or equivalent as
standard equipment.

http://www.uscg.mil/deepwater/media/...adox053007.htm

--Vic