posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Squall capsizes catamaran

* Wilbur Hubbard wrote, On 8/15/2007 4:05 PM:
"Thomas Galbraith, 60, and his wife Stanna Galbraith, 58, both of
Durango, Colo., were sailing from Isla Mujeres, Mexico, to Anclote,
Fla., a when their 35-foot catamaran, Paradox, hit a squall and capsized."

http://www.piersystem.com/go/doc/586/153892/

More old history. This is an interesting case of a cat that actually
capsized twice. The current owners had salvaged it, and re-rigged it,
I believe with a larger rig. The result was a boat that couldn't
withstand 45 knots under full sail. This, BTW, is the design criteria
of many cruising cats, but the Tobago is a lighter boat than most
cruisers (8000 lbs) and carries a lot of sail. The couple survived
nicely in the inverted cat, and realizing that the EPIRB hadn't
worked, they drilled a hole in the boat and stuck the antennae so they
were rescued.

You couldn't pay me enough to go to sea in a catamaran.

Why would I pay you anything?