Frogwatch Frogwatch is offline

Default Removing 3 bladed prop on an Alberg 35

On Aug 14, 4:44 am, "Steve Lusardi" wrote:
It's called poor engineering and it is unfortunately, very common. The
engine and propshaft should be offset to allow shaft removal without the
rudder and there should be adequate clearance between the rudder and shaft
for removing the prop. Additionally, there should be at 2 inches clearance
between the outer diameter of the prop and the bottom of the boat to prevent
pounding from prop turbulence, but too often these things are not done for
cost savings.

You may be able to remove the coupling from the gear box and gain a bit of
clearance as well, but pulling the rudder has the advantage of being able to
use a prop puller as well.
Steve

"Jonathan W" wrote in message

. ..

I bought an Indigo 3 bladed prop last week for my Alberg 35 with the
original Atomic 4, as the existing prop succumbed to electrolysis

I went down to the boat yesterday, worried that I might not be able to
loosen the old hub's grip on the shaft. It was also a 3 bladed prop. That
was actually easy after about 5 minutes with a map gas torch.

I seem to have only about an inch of space between the end of the prop
shaft and the rudder (post). The hub is about 2-2,5 inches thick. I've
tried swinging the rudder from stop to stop, but don't seem to be able to
find an angle that will allow the old prop to come off, or, for that
matter, a new one to go on.

Others must have encountered this problem and found a solution.....

At this juncture it seems to me that I either have to dismount the rudder
to gain an extra inch or so, or I have to unmount the engine and pull the
prop shaft forward a couple of inches (if that's even possible )

I am hoping that I missed something perfectly obvious as I was working
late and was tired.... any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonathan Wye

--
I am building my daughter an Argie 10 sailing dinghy, check it out:
http://home.comcast.net/~jonsailr

Cut the prop shaft in the boat. Take out a 2" long section. Take off
prop. When re-installing, use a sliding coupler to join the two
pieces. This assumes you even have enough room to do this cutting.