Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Survey question

On 2007-08-12 20:52:09 -0400, cavelamb himself said:

It says "All items aloft (spars, rigging, fittings, hardware, etc)
should be visually inspected for condition by a qualified/experienced
yacht rigger or equivelent".

Is this normal for a professional survey?

As other said, yes.

As far as getting it inspected, if I were in your shoes, I would have
it done. In fact, I did and listened to the guy explain what he was
doing.

BUT I found that learning how to inspect the fittings (the weak link)
made me feel safer. I've not replaced ours, probably a bit older than
yours, except for the forestay (required when we got the furler.) I'm
comfortable with that where and how we sail, but would reconsider if
either changed. I also am a bit of a nut who uses his Loos gauge
several times a season to get an objective measurement of possible
problems. (That caught a bad bulkhead a few years ago.)

Your comfort level, though, is paramount. If you're nervous about the
integrity of the boat, you won't get as much enjoyment.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD