roger[_2_] roger[_2_] is offline

Default Survey question

On Aug 12, 8:52 pm, cavelamb himself wrote:
So I'm reading the survey for one of the boats that I'm looking at.
It's a Catalina 36 = 1984 model

Moored in fresh water now, but has been in salt water.

Under Surveyer's Recommendations are a list of items that needed attention.

It's not a long list but there is one item (C rated) that I'm
kinda concerned about.

It says "All items aloft (spars, rigging, fittings, hardware, etc)
should be visually inspected for condition by a qualified/experienced
yacht rigger or equivelent".

Is this normal for a professional survey?

And, like everything else on the list it it maked off, "done".

But I don't yet know who the equivelent was.

So I'm a little curious here.

Do I need to hire a professional rigger to check the rigging in a
situation like this?

I mean, replacing all the standing rigging on any boat is not a trivial
matter.

Now I don't necessarily have to have new rigging on the boat I buy, but
if it needs to be replaced I need to know up front. And adjust the price
as appropriate...

Richard

A good surveyor should go aloft and check the rigging himself . It
does not require a riggers expertise or a degree in metallurgy.

You may or may not need to replace your standing rigging. It would
help if you knew if it was original or not but even if it is it is not
necessarily due. If you plan on extensive cruising I would want to
know its age though.

You can inspect it yourself probably with more competence than your
average surveryor after doing a little online "how to" research. The
good news is most rigging problems involving corrosion are down low
not aloft.
Your main concerns are crevice corrosion, which you cannot inspect
without dissassembly of the suspect parts and no surveyor is going to
do this. The other main concern is crevice cracks and these you can
detect yourself with a magnifying glass and a lot of patience. There
are dyes you can rub into the stainless to help spot cracks.

That aside I were you I would hire a diesel mechanic to go over the
auxiliary. It is by far the most expensive thing to fix on the boat.
Then check for core rot in the deck. Again you can do this yourself.