cavelamb himself[_3_] cavelamb himself[_3_] is offline

Default Survey question

Rosalie B. wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

So I'm reading the survey for one of the boats that I'm looking at.
It's a Catalina 36 = 1984 model

Moored in fresh water now, but has been in salt water.

Under Surveyer's Recommendations are a list of items that needed attention.

It's not a long list but there is one item (C rated) that I'm
kinda concerned about.

It says "All items aloft (spars, rigging, fittings, hardware, etc)
should be visually inspected for condition by a qualified/experienced
yacht rigger or equivelent".

Is this normal for a professional survey?

Yes but it is more of a disclaimer than anything.

When we had our boat surveyed before purchase, we got Peter Hartoff
who several people recommended as the best around here. He did
everything except the rigging. He did an in water survey first and
then had us haul the boat, and did the hull, and then he took the boat
out for a sea trial. We had told him what use we intended to make of
the boat, so his survey was based on that.

When the marina wanted proof of insurance several years later, and the
insurance company wanted a survey first, we got another guy, and he
used the previous survey to check that we'd done the A list things and
the B list things and basically looked to see that nothing else had
gone terribly long in the interval. He did the survey with the boat
in the water - we didn't haul it for him.

And, like everything else on the list it it maked off, "done".
But I don't yet know who the equivelent was.

Who marked it 'done'. The only way to find out is to ask. Although
they may not tell you.

Bingo! That was my question as well.

Which has, so far, not been answered..

Which is why I'm pestering you nice people...

Yes, this is a previous survey - four years ago.
But I don't know the intended purpose yet.

If this deal goes further, I will have a pre-purchase survey done.

This is just the starting point.
And, of course, my first Big Boat Buy.

A boat this old, I don't expect to be in like new condition.
Most people just don't bother (sad).

There are a lot of things I can handle myself,
There are a lot of things I can't - and would have to hire out.

But I don't want to pay NEW prices for worn out stuff if I can
avoid it.

Richard