Roger Long Roger Long is offline

Default Fuel filter clogging

In 38 years around boats with auxilliary engines, I've never actually
experienced a clogged fuel filter so I'm curious what the first signs are,
at least for slow build up as opposed to the fuel line suddenly sucking up a
mess that's been kicking around in the bottom of the tank.

I would expect that slowly developing problems would first show up at
maximum RPM and fuel flow and that the engine would continue to run properly
for a time at lower power. If I make it a practice to bring my engine up to
full RPM at least once during every run, I should first see a failure to
reach the usual number, perhaps accompanied by some smoke due to the
injectors not getting enough fuel for the rack setting. Backing off to my
usual cruising fuel flow, which is about 60% of WOT, should give me plenty
of running time to get to a place where I can safely change the filter.

Next year, I'll put in a vacuum gauge but, in the meantime, will this
strategy work?

--
Roger Long