posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Fore or Aft ...That is the question.

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 10, 11:04 am, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

oups.com...

I'm setting up a stay sail forestay and have a slight problem.

See this pictu
http://sports.webshots.com/photo/272...63212926LiUcvQ

The old stay sail stay padeye was welded to an old electric winch
that was tossed in favor of my cast iron hot galvanized triple
dipped
Navy number 1 wildcat drum combo. Now my inner forestay will be
either
fore or aft of the winch. I guess the best would be right on top of
the bollard, but that would screw up the coating and foul things up
using the bollard.

Which side would be better? ..I'm leaning towards a padeye forward
of
the doubler plate under the winch. But in a heavy blow she may
balance
better with a small sail further aft..

Any suggestions or opinions?

Joe

I have a suggestion. It's based upon the fact that there should be
support close to where the stay attaches to the mast. The closer it
attaches to the lower shroud, upper mast attachment points the more
support it will have and the less sag-off it will have and the less
mast
bending it will cause. With this in mind, the more forward you put
the
deck fitting for the stay the higher the fitting on the mast. Head
stay
and staysail stay should be parallel, btw. If it were mine to do, I'd
put the stay deck fitting aft rather than fore. This will probably
get
the top fitting closer to the support of the lower shrouds which is a
good thing as the staysail is often your stormsail. You might even
consider fitting runners if you find the upper staysail attach point
is
somewhere in the middle of an unsupported area of the mast.

Wilbur Hubbard- Hide quoted text -

If you look at this pictu
http://sports.webshots.com/photo/138...63212926ANQKPO

You can see the pad eye just under the top spreaders where the inner
stay attaches, under the triangle looking platform.

For it to run parallel the forward stay then I would have to attach
it to the winch..Thats the problem. So it's either fore by 12" or aft
by 8" at the base from parallel.

Joe

It's worse than I thought. You have no fore and aft support up there
where the padeye is. If it were my boat I'd add another padeye lower
down and put the deck attachment point behind the winch. For one think
you don't need a stay in the way when working up the anchor(s) and you
don't want that bollard interfered with by a stay. And if you ever
decided to put a self-tacking staysail with a boom at the foot the winch
would be in the way. Then I'd fit running backstays at the same level on
the mast as the staysail stay upper fitting to give the mast needed fore
and aft support at the staysail stay when the wind piped up something
fierce.

Wilbur Hubbard