posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default Fore or Aft ...That is the question.

On Aug 10, 7:51 pm, wrote:
"Joe" wrote
Which side would be better? ..I'm leaning towards a padeye forward of
the doubler plate under the winch. But in a heavy blow she may balance
better with a small sail further aft..

Any suggestions or opinions?

Yep. Put the storm jib tack on a pennant to raise it off the deck.
This accomplishes two things: raises it up above solid water sweeping
across the foredeck, thu lowering the odds that it will be ripped in
the first ten minutes of real gale conditions; and also moves the sail
aft (since the stay is slanted that way).

The best place to put the chainplate for the inner forestay is
definitely going to be forward of the winch. I'd suggest at the inside
of the stem head, where the bulwarks around the foredeck meet.

A bigger question is where to terminate the inner stay on the mast. If
you looked at the pic in Jon's link, that double-staysail ketch had 3
lowers on the mainmast. Your rig shows only one. That means you either
need to add a set of shrouds led aft to offset the forward pull of the
inner forestay, terminated at the same point on the mast; or bring the
inner forestay to the lower spreaders. That would be the simplest
option and the way I'd lean. It would also do the most to bring the
center of offort of the storm staysail aft.

If you look at this pictu
http://sports.webshots.com/photo/138...63212926ANQKPO

You can see the pad eye just under the top spreaders where the inner
stay attaches, under the triangle looking platform.

For it to run parallel the forward stay then I would have to attach
it to the winch..Thats the problem. So it's either fore by 12" or aft
by 8" at the base from parallel.

Joe

"Capt. JG" wrote:
I'm curious as to why you refer to a bollard on you boat... typically, a
bollard is what's on the dock... calling one on a boat isn't wrong, but it's
not common.

He's referring to the captain.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King