posted to alt.sailing.asa
Goofball_star_dot_etal Goofball_star_dot_etal is offline

Default Jeff, another catamaran capsize and breakup at sea

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 18:33:17 +1000, OzOne wrote:

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 14:14:06 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
scribbled thusly:

"Jeff" wrote in message
* Wilbur Hubbard wrote, On 8/3/2007 7:31 PM:
Rescue required. When are they gonna do something about dangerous,
unseaworthy catamarans?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/6930023.stm

Wilbur Hubbard

An old boat, with known structural problems has a complete structural
failure in rough weather and yet doesn't sink and all three elderly
sailors are rescued without injury. How many monohulls could break in
half, or even sustain a small puncture, without sinking?

I've been trying to find more info on this incident. It certainly
wasn't a normal cruising cat, since the two hulls are usually molded
as one, and breaking in half isn't possible without major trauma. It
was probably a racing cat converted to cruising, or a old homemade
boat.

Not!

http://www.2hulls.com/usedcatamaran-2007/Tantara.html

Read it and weep. I bet it doesn't make you feel very safe on your PDQ
which is sort of a cheapo version of the Lagoon 38.

Wilbur Hubbard

Funny that a 39' cat advertised on Puerto Rico suddenlt stretches to
46' and breaks up off Anglesy......and taht the remains in no waty
resemble the 39 footer.

How does a Tiki 46 gab you?
http://www.pca-seapeople.org/PCAgall...g2_itemId=4253
I agree with the comments about South Stack and Holyhead RNLI he
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.p...fpart/all/vc/1
The waves in the overfalls are a bit unusual - 'falling over
pyramids'.. but it sounds as if they were outside the worst of it.
Very difficult to say what the sea conditions were at the time of the
failure. The pictures may have been taken later or in a slightly
different location. I was out about 40nm away at that time and it was
about F5, increasing. The forecast for the St Davids Head to Colwyn
Bay including St Georges Channel (same inshore forecast) area was F4-5
increasing F7.