Scott Odell Scott Odell is offline

Default Off on a long one....

WalMart often stocks a headband LED with both red and white bulbs,
surprisingly bright and only $13 - $14. Very handy -- I've had one for four
years now and it is still going strong.

Scott

S/V Itchen

"Paul" wrote in message

"Hoges in WA" wrote in message

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 23:15:35 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

also, I bring a bunch of snackbars and put them in pockets.
They're good for quick energy when you don't want to go below.

I'll second that motion. I also like to bring one or two small
flashlights (hand torch), preferably with a red lens. The kind that
have an elastic strap that you can wear on your head like a miner's
light are particularly useful. Don't forget your rigging knife or
multi tool either.

Was looking for a red headlight in Mountain Designs the other day but
they had something that didn't quite fit the bill. I would have thought
those night-time trek racer people would all have them for checking maps
but.. ??

You're right, the "outdoors" stores carry lots of headlamps, but few have
a red light. I've been getting my headlamps from the local hardware
store -- they are usually branded with the name of a battery company
(forget which), and have a three-position selector switch: red LED, white
LED, white incandescent. You can usually find similar headlights in the
marine stores, but they are cheaper at the hardware stores. These hold up
a surprisingly long time, and are *very* handy. They are powered by 4
"AAA" cells.

-Paul
-S/V VALIS