posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Jeff, another catamaran capsize and breakup at sea

"thunder" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 14:14:06 -0400, Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

http://www.2hulls.com/usedcatamaran-2007/Tantara.html

That might not be the same Tantara. The LOA on it is 38'. The
articles on the wrecked boat state 46'.
When the ad was placed, that Tantara was in Puerto Rico, not in N.
Wales, and finally, the ad states it's a
2003 model, but the BBC article states: "But the coastguard said even
though it was an older model,
there was "no reason to suspect it would do what it did".

It might not be the same one but Google doesn't return any other boat
with that name. It could be 46 feet if they counted appendages such as
davits, for example. A four-year-old boat could be called an 'older
model' but the Lagoon 38 style doesn't look old so you might be right. I
wonder if the Coast Guard ever saw it upright? I'm sure if it WAS a
Lagoon the manufacturer will do what it can to keep the news quiet. That
might be why news about it is almost non-existent.

I wonder if researching the documentation number would show anything?
Ah, it shows you might be right. There's a Lagoon 38 showing owned by
some guy in Kansas City:
http://www.st.nmfs.gov/pls/webpls/cg...ssel_name_list scroll down.
Document issued April of this year and expires in 2008. Unless he sold
it to some guys in the UK???

Wilbur Hubbard