posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Jeff, another catamaran capsize and breakup at sea

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

"Jeff" wrote in message
* Wilbur Hubbard wrote, On 8/3/2007 7:31 PM:
Rescue required. When are they gonna do something about dangerous,
unseaworthy catamarans?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/6930023.stm

Wilbur Hubbard

An old boat, with known structural problems has a complete structural
failure in rough weather and yet doesn't sink and all three elderly
sailors are rescued without injury. How many monohulls could break
in half, or even sustain a small puncture, without sinking?

I've been trying to find more info on this incident. It certainly
wasn't a normal cruising cat, since the two hulls are usually molded
as one, and breaking in half isn't possible without major trauma. It
was probably a racing cat converted to cruising, or a old homemade
boat.

Not!

http://www.2hulls.com/usedcatamaran-2007/Tantara.html

Read it and weep. I bet it doesn't make you feel very safe on your PDQ
which is sort of a cheapo version of the Lagoon 38.

Wilbur Hubbard

"Sorry, Tantara's journey has come to an end . . . " From:
http://360.yahoo.com/profile-3SXrUYM3aKqXThGnHIU-?cq=1

Sorry Jeff but it ain't looking good for catamarans these days.

Wilbur Hubbard