Rosalie B. Rosalie B. is offline

Default US Customs Decals

Peter wrote:

On Aug 7, 3:39 pm, "Roger Long" wrote:
I read either on a web site or in the cruising guide (brain fade) a couple
weeks ago that you need to get a decal from US Customs to facilitate
re-entry on return from Canada. It's looking up for my fall trip to Saint
John so I called Customs here in Portland to ask if the decal was something
I could get just by stopping in. The fellow who answered the phone groaned
and said something like, "Some magazine printed that a while back and it
just won't die. There is no decal. We had something like that years ago for
the Great Lakes where people go back and forth a lot but so many people
thought it meant they didn't need to clear Customs that we discontinued it."

I asked him if there was anything I could or should do before departing for
Canada to make the clearance back easier and he said, "No".

--
Roger Long

Yes, you have to have a customs sticker. All boats entering US waters
from abraod, US or foreign registry must obtain the sticker. Cost is

WRONG - only boats over 30 feet have to have a sticker. My SILs boat
which is 27 feet doesn't have one and can't get one.

I'm not sure that foreign boats can get the sticker.

$25. No, you can't just drop into the office, but I think you might
be able to pay the fee and apply at the port of entry. It would

It is now $27.50. We got our first one when we came back to the US
for the first time - just went to the office at the port and filled
out the application and paid. Just like we did when we entered the
Bahamas - went up to the customs office and paid.

probably significantly complicate your reentry. It certainly did for
us in Puerto Rico. Much easier to apply on line--they respond very
fast according to my personal experience. Go to
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/pl..._fee_decal.xml

Peter
s/v Now or Never!